February is the hardest month for me to spell, and also the shortest of the year, but it seemed like as good as any to start our wrap-ups back up with:
- 245,329 blogs were created.
- 432,478 new users joined.
- 1,920,593 file uploads.
- 2,814,893 posts and 996 thousand new pages.
- 4,961,330 comments.
- 3,813,432 logins.
- 540,799,534 pageviews on WordPress.com, and another 304,499,648 on self-hosted blogs. (845,299,182 pageviews total across blogs we know about.)
- 726,789 active blogs in February, where “active” means they got a human visitor.
On a less exciting note, last month was the first in a long time where we had unplanned downtime caused by a criminal directing a DOS attack at us. We get these quite frequently and it’s usually no problem, but this was larger and we had to work closely with our upstream providers (Peer1/Server Beach and Layered Technologies) to get things back on track. We learned a lot in the process and should be able to better deal with attacks of this magnitude (estimates around 6 gigabits per second) in the future.