WordPress.com: Our Labor of Love — 2012 in Review
For us, WordPress.com is our labor of love — we’re continually releasing new themes, upgrades, and features to help you create the best website and/or blog you can. In addition to great tools, we publish articles, prompts, and writing and photo challenges to inspire you to start posting and keep posting. While we’re never, ever done making WordPress.com better, we wanted to look back at some of the goodies we brought you in 2012.
We’ve got the look: 65+ new themes in 2012
We released themes at a rate of more than one a week in 2012. These beautiful themes look great no matter which device your visitors use to see your content. What’s more, if you’re a musician, restaurateur, bride-or-groom-to-be, or a civil servant looking for a simple way to share information with your audience, we’ve got you covered.
Custom Design puts you in charge
Have design chops or an eye for contrast, color, and composition? With the Custom Design upgrade, you can tinker with your site’s CSS, compose a unique color palette for your site, and choose from among some awesome Typekit fonts to create the specific look you desire for your online home on the web.
New and improved for 2012
No matter whether you’re just starting to blog or are a seasoned web designer, here’s a sampling of how we made WordPress.com better for you in 2012:
- We doubled the space we offer in the space upgrade.
- We introduced SASS and LESS for those who’ve got the Custom CSS upgrade.
- We added unique visitors and countries to all WordPress.com stats pages.
- We created importers to help you bring your Tumblr blog or your Splinder site to WordPress.com.
- We released tiled galleries that allow you to get creative with photos on your blog.
We made a lot of progress in 2012 and we’re already working on bringing you more awesome in 2013. Happy New Year from WordPress.com!