Host a WordCamp in Your Living Room with WordPress.tv
Do you find yourself looking for more resources on making the most of your WordPress.com blog? Maybe you’ve always thought about going to a WordCamp, but don’t have one in your area (have you checked?) or are worried that the topics will be over your head. Maybe you’re more of a visual or auditory learner, and our online tutorials and support documents aren’t the kind of help you need. Or maybe you blog in Spanish and are looking for WordPress resources in your native language.
Enter WordPress.tv, a collection of presentations filmed at WordCamps and meetups all over the world. At WordCamps, WordPress community experts share their knowledge on everything from basic publishing to advanced customization and CSS. On WordPress.tv you can search the recorded presentations, watch the videos, and even download the presentation slides.
Since WordCamps happen everywhere there are a range of languages available, and since many of them have beginner, intermediate, and advanced tracks, there are topics to suit every user. We encourage you to head over to WordPress.tv and browse the available videos or search for the topic that’s been giving your trouble. Here are a few of the questions WordPress.tv can help answer:
- Wondering how some bloggers create and publish amazing content without breaking a sweat? Sheri Bigelow reveals the hidden gems: little known facts about publishing with WordPress that’ll turn you into a WordPress pro.
- Check out Pete Davies’ session on how to run a small country using the P2 theme for an easy and inexpensive way to keep your new sovereign nation on track.
- Not sure how to create a custom site with WordPress.com and need instructions in Spanish? Hugo Baeta’s how to design your site with WordPress.com has you covered. (Do you speak Dutch, Bulgarian, or Portuguese? We have those, too!)
- Are you an inveterate web surfer who’s constantly finding things you must share with the world? Jerry Bates helps you turn your find viral in Make quick posts to your WordPress blog with Press This.
- Thinking of moving to a self-hosted WordPress site? Ruth Maude teaches you how to move from WordPress.com to WordPress.org.
- Want to know the blogging secrets of the rich and famous? Tom Catalini’s best WordPress blogging tips will start you down the yellow brick road.
- Considering moving to a decentralized work environment, but wondering how it functions on a practical level? Take a look at Chris Lema on Success in Distributed Contexts.
Convinced yet? In addition to WordCamp workshops, there are dozens of tutorial videos on specific topics like choosing a theme or recovering your lost password — over 600 videos in total. There are also lots of helpful sessions on creating great content and building your readership, which we’re highlighting today on The Daily Post.
(Fair warning: you will see a lot of content geared toward developers and folks using the self-hosted version of WordPress, but be not deterred! There are tons of videos for WordPress.com users, too.)
If you have a video you think should be up there, whether a WordCamp session or a recording of a presentation at your local WordPress meetup, you can submit it to WordPress.tv. Take a look at the submission guidelines, submit your video, and give the WordPress.tv moderators some time to review and upload it.
Go forth, watch, and learn!